Monument record GLL 022 - Glemham Hall gardens
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3463 5903 (286m by 263m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE GLEMHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- GARDEN (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- CANAL (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (17th century to 19th century - 1601 AD to 1800 AD)
- HA HA (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- ICEHOUSE (19th century to 20th century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
Substantial formal gardens, surrounded by brick walls, are shown on an estate map of 1720 (S1) and on an early 18th century painting (S2). The latter shows a large central gatehouse on the north side connected by walls to pavilions in line with the ends of the house, flanking embattled walls connected the pavilions to further pavilions with ogival-headed doorways. The plan shows the gatehouse but without the wall in front of the house or the pavilions. A `Long Garden' stretched to the west of the house, with two rectangular ponds; to the south was a square `Kitchen Garden', with a thin canal on its west side. Smaller walled yards are shown on the north and east sides (S1). The outline of the `Long Garden' survives as slight earthwork in the park. The `Kitchen Garden' is now the main garden with additional walls. The canal survives as a dip, with a raised walkway on its west side. A semi- circular extension to the south end of the garden had been added by 1826 (S3).
A brick ice-house (?early C19) lies adjacent to the north west corner of the walled enclosure on the east side of the house.
See (S4) for description of the garden and (S5) for sketch plans of features.
- <S1> SSF21828 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office (Ipswich), HD 1000/1.
- <M1> SSF46590 (No record type): Parks file: (S4).
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: part tracing of (S1); (S5).
- <S2> SSF7297 (No record type): Harris J, The Artist and the Country House, 1979 (rev ed 1985) no 210.
- <S3> SSF21535 (No record type): SRO (I), HD 1000/4.
- <S4> SSF21985 (No record type): Taigel A & Williamson T, Report on Little Glemham Park for SCC, c.1990.
- <S5> SSF10930 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, notes 1998.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 2 2004 11:57AM