Monument record TYY 026 - Concentration of burnt flints and extensive prehistoric, Roman and medieval occupation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2837 3535 (260m by 308m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- BURNT MOUND (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Undated)
- DITCH (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1000 BC? to 42 AD? (at some time))
- CREMATION (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
- HOUSE (Late Bronze Age to Roman - 1000 BC to 409 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1000 BC? to 42 AD? (at some time))
1998: Concentration of burnt flints, two worked flints, two flint-tempered pottery sherds found fieldwalking the area surrounding Blofield Hall (S2). For other burnt flint patches in area see TYY 028-031.
Summer 1999: LBA/IA (also Rom, Med & Pmed) occupation recorded during large scale excavation (c.25,000 sq m) in advance of dock development. Series of ditches (field boundaries) and at least two structures, one roundhouse (undated presumed IA) with four post 'extension' to the north east (S4).
- <S1> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SCCAS, Desktop Assessment Report 97/67.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S2)(S4).
- <S2> SSF51333 Unpublished document: Abbot, C.. 1998. Archaeological Evaluation at Blofield Hall, Trimley St Mary.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/28/4-7.
- <S4> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SCCAS, Sommers M, Assessment Report 2000/46, 2000.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2018 11:31AM