Monument record CAC 016 - Swallowfields, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville, (Prehistoric).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 52124 89971 (540m by 303m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1999: A magnetic susceptibility survey recorded activity indicating the deposition of fire enhanced materials/soils and possibly in-situ burning (S3).
June 2000: Excavation of 4000 sq m area to west of area excavated in July 1998, revealed LBA/EIA pottery and worked flint assemblage, mainly in subsoil or residual within later features. Details in (S1). Also bronze axe tip in area previously evaluated in 1996 - see CAC 014. See (S2) for more detail on July 1998.
A possible Iron Age ditch was also seen at the far southwest of the site. 1418 pieces of worked flint were recovered, although this may relate to later industrial processes. There is also a small assemblage of prehistoric pottery and a quantity of burnt flint (as mentioned above). Late Mesolithic material is represented by microliths, burins, scrapers and knapping debitage. A barbed and tanged arrowhead, borers, and a polished axe fragment indicate a Neolithic/Early Bronze Age presence. A range of amorphous retouched items, crude cores and knapping debris represent the Middle/Late Bronze Age. Moving westwards, there is a predominance of Late Bronze Age/ Early Iron Age material. The 1996 assessment over this western area recorded Neolithic and Iron Age settlement evidence immediately to the south-west (S4).
See also Roman record ror 1st-2nd century Roman field system, Anglo Saxon record Anglo-Saxon settlement and cemetery and Medieval/Post Medieval record record.
- <S1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF59432 Unpublished document: Mortimer, R.. 2000. Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville, Suffolk, Excavation of the Early Anglo-Saxon Settlement, An Interim Statement.
- <S2> SSF55361 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1999. Archaeology in Suffolk 1998. XXXIX (3).
- <S3> SSF58573 Unpublished document: Challands, A.. 1999. Report on the Magnetic Susceptibility Survey at Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58574 Unpublished document: Mortimer, R.. 2000. An Interim Statement, Excavation of the Early Anglo-Saxon Settlement 1998-2000, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville.
- FSF25925: POTTERY (Late Neolithic to Early Iron Age - 2500 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF25926: WORKED OBJECT (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF25927: AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF47336: BURNT FLINT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF47337: MICROLITH (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF47338: BURIN (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF47339: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF47340: DEBITAGE (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF47341: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF47342: BORER (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF47343: POLISHED AXEHEAD (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF47344: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Middle Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville (Ref: 1998) (ESF15874)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville (Ref: 1999) (ESF26248)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville (Ref: 2000) (ESF26249)
- Event - Survey: Magnetic Susceptibility Survey - Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Coville (ESF26246)
Record last edited
Dec 27 2019 10:57AM