Monument record CAM 099 - Cavenham Hill (Mill?), Cavenham, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 77 71 (1m by 0m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pre 1921: "A probable Chellean palaeolith of rostro-carinate type was found at Cavenham Hill. Now in Ipswich Museum" (S1).
Five Chellean flint implements' from Cavenham Hill. Purchased (?) from S G Fenton (S2).
Wymer describes these as two slightly rolled ovates and contrastingly two very rolled crude, stone-struck hand-axes and a cleaver made on a flake (S3).
Exact location "Cavenham Hill is unknown", especially considering the generally flat nature of the topography, the centre of the highest part of the heath could be possible considering what can be called a hill in this part of the country. Wymer (S3, S6) places them near "Cavenham Mill" which suggests a misspelling/misreading, but ultimatelly considered Cavenham Heath to be as specific a location as possible.
Smith (1931) considered that most of the palaeoliths form Cavenham came from this site, (S7).
This location is used here (S5), on the pit "Found between the road from Icklingham to Cavenham and Cavenham Mill" (S7, S5).
If "Cavenham Hill" can be identified, location should be changed.
See also (S4, S5)
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card, 1976.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1921-1, 1921.
- <S3> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 129.
- <S4> SSF16540 Article in serial: Halls, H. H.. 1021. Summary of Proceedings. 3, 1918-1922, 467. PPSEA, 3, 1918-1922, 467.
- <S5> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S6> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22642.
- <S7> SSF21387 Bibliographic reference: Smith, R.A. 1931. Sturge Collection.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2019 1:24PM