Monument record BML 018 - Sutton Hoo Visitor Centre (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2899 4928 (110m by 194m) Approximate|
|Civil Parish||BROMESWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
February 1997: Geophysical survey showed a clear concentration of linear anomalies in the northernmost area. Subsequent Evaluation recorded a high concentration of archaeological features were recorded in the northern end revealing evidence of an Iron Age field system. See BML 018 Preh for details. Two possible early Saxon sherds of pottery were recovered during the evaluation. (S1, S5)
2000: Full excavation of extended area located BA & small Esax ring ditches and Esax mixed rite cemetery (S2). Details and report to follow (S3).
2007 Assessment and Project Design: The main excavation at the site revealed evidence for four periods of activity. In the northwest area of the site was an early Anglo-Saxon burial ground comprising of c.19 inhumation and c.16 cremations. The majority of the inhumations were furnished with weaponry, with only a few including jewellery items (beads and brooches). The artefact forms date these graves from the 6th to early 7th century. Both urned and unurned cremations are represented, some in typical stamp-decorated pots, databale between the late 5th and 6th century, while others are marked by ring ditches. Of particular note is a cremation in a hanging bowl normally datable from the early 7th century. Also identified was a ditch with a bonfire feature set in a recut was radiocarbon data to AD 262-427. See also BML 018 Preh (S4).
Full publication in preperation (May 2009).
- <S1> SSF50018 Finds Report: Plouviez, J.. 1995. SCCAS Finds Record:. SCCAS, Martin E, February 1997.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. SCCAS, Topham-Smith C, 'A Second Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Sutton Hoo', SAXON, 33, 2000.
- <S3> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. SCCAS, Topham-Smith C, July 2000.
- <S4> SSF53034 Unpublished document: Fern, C.. 2007. Assessment and Project Design, Sutton Hoo Visitors' Centre, Tranmer House, Bromeswell, Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF58144 Unpublished document: Abbott, C.. 1997. Archaeological Evaluation, Sutton Hoo Visitors Centre, Bromeswell.
- <S6> SSF58143 Unpublished document: Abbott, C. And Breen, A.. 1997. Archaeological Desktop Assessment, Sutton Hoo House Visitors Centre.
- <S7> SSF22303 Unpublished document: Copp, A., Garner-Lahire, J. and Simpson, T.. 1997. Geophysical and Topographic Survey, Sutton Hoo House Area, Suffolk.
- FSF26142: POTTERY (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26143: SWORD (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26144: SPEARHEAD (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26145: SHIELD (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26146: BROOCH (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26147: HANGING BOWL (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26148: VESSEL (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26149: COFFIN (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26150: BEAD (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF26151: SHIELD (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment - Sutton Hoo House Visitor Centre (ESF25968)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation 1997 - Sutton Hoo Visitors Centre, Bromeswell (Ref: ) (ESF18285)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation 2000 - Sutton Hoo Visitors' Centre, Tranmer House, Bromeswell (Ref: ) (ESF18275)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical and Topographic Survey - Sutton Hoo House Area, Suffolk (ESF21964)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2022 3:18PM