Monument record LCS 033 - Oval enclosure and 2 smaller ring ditches of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47113 65213 (82m by 207m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Cropmarks of a circa 50m by 35m oval enclosure (open to NE side) and two possible smaller (circa 20m) 'pennanular' or 'causewayed' ring ditches (probably natural) in N half of field. See (S1) for plots.
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
This site is just outside of the NMP project area (falling within the previously undertaken Suffolk Coast NMP area). However a brief assessment of the aerial photographs did not reveal any clear indication of the ring ditches recorded above. Some features were visible and may feasibly relate to salt production associated with LCS 134.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 02nd January 2015.
- <S1> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Richmond A, Sizewell C, PWR Power Station, Figure 8, 1994.
- <R1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <R2> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. RCHME.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation (Ref: ) (ESF18402)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (ESF23167)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 12:45PM