Monument record EWL 025 - Elmswell Community Woodland
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9833 6339 (305m by 284m)|
|Civil Parish||ELMSWELL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A metal detector survey was carried out on an unploughed field as part of the evaluation of the site for a new Community Woodland at Elmswell, Suffolk. Most of the finds medieval or early post medieval and attributed to casual loss but also included was a mount from an Early Saxon hanging bowl and this may be indicative of a cemetery site (S1).
A magnetometer survey was also undertaken on the site of the proposed woodland, revealing an infilled pond and grubbed out field boundaries. A small number of possible pits and ditches of unknown date were also noted, although these were widely dispersed and formed no discernable pattern (S2).
- FSF33895: MOUNT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF33896: HINGE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF33897: COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF33898: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF33899: TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF33900: JETTON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF33901: BELL (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2017 11:46AM