Monument record LKH 315 - 82/82A High Street, Lakenheath (Med-PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7141 8263 (115m by 85m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (13)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Middle Saxon to Medieval - 650 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POST HOLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRUCTURE? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GRANARY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOUSE (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
Evaluation identified a series of NE to SW aligned ditches running down the NW edge of the site, and containing pottery of Middle Saxon to Modern date, suggested to be a long-maintained property boundary. Pits containing medieval pottery, rubble deposits containing reused medieval building material and late medieval postholes were also found, possibly suggesting a medieval farm predating the existing farmyard. A number of undated ditches were also recorded at the western end of the site, apparently predating the property boundaries, and possibly of Roman or prehistoric date (S1).
The building known as 82 and 82A High Street is an unlisted brick structure with a late-19th century façade which contains substantial fabric of the 18th century or earlier and is marked on the Ordnance Survey of 1883 as Churchgate Farm. It adjoins the western side of the principal street of Lakenheath, just 50 metres south of the 12th century church of St Mary (part of an important manor belonging to the Abbot of Ely, whose medieval holdings are exceptionally well-documented) and probably overlies a site of medieval occupation. The substantial complex of farm buildings between the house and the watercourse known as the ‘Cut-Off Channel’ (or New Cut) to the rear consists chiefly of the highly distinctive local material known as clunch (chalk blocks), which characterises the vernacular architecture of Lakenheath and a small number of other Breckland parishes. The Lakenheath Conservation Area Appraisal by Paul Edwards RIBA, formerly English Heritage Inspector of Historic Buildings, which was adopted in April 2007, includes a photograph of these buildings and accurately describes them as ‘a complete set … with stables, shelter sheds, cart sheds, granaries and barns. They are built of flint or chalk blocks with red brick quoins and pantiled roofs. They form a special group seen from the High Street or from the west across the Cut-Off Channel. Under current criteria they are of national special architectural or historic interest’ (Forest Heath District Council, p.18). Of some 15 structures on the site, approximately 10 had been demolished in the months prior to recording, which took place within two working days of instruction. The surviving buildings date from the mid-19th century and include two stable ranges, a tack room and a barn, but photographic evidence included in this report indicates that one of the demolished structures was a three-bay clunch barn with intact tie-beams and arch-braces resting on ovolo-moulded corbel blocks of 17th century appearance. Despite the replacement of its roof during the mid-19th century refurbishment of the complex, which probably followed soon after the enlargement of the farm in 1837 (under the Lakenheath Enclosure Act of 1833), this barn may have represented one of only three remaining clunch examples of its period in Suffolk and was accordingly of considerable historic significance (S2).
- <S1> SSF50286 Unpublished document: Craven, J.A. and Caruth, J.. 2008. Land to the rear of 82/82A High Street, Lakenheath. A report on the archaeological evaluation, 2008.
- <S1> SSF55287 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2008. Historic Building Record: The Farm Buildings, 82/83A High Street, Lakenheath.
- FSF34124: POTTERY (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF34125: PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF34126: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF34127: SPINDLE WHORL (Early Saxon to Medieval - 410 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF34128: HOOKED TAG (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF34129: STAPLE (Unknown date)
- FSF34130: BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF34131: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF34132: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF34133: ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF34134: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34135: FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2014 11:52AM