Monument record CHF 001 - Scheduled Round barrow E of Chillesford Walks; Money Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4005 5315 (30m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||CHILLESFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Bowl barrow in Tunstall Forest, 900m W of Blacklands Farm.
Report in Basil Brown archive records: Beaker sherd from surface of barrow in Chillesford Woods, August 9th, 1929. Another sherd from same barrow a year or so later. Sherd noted by Grimes in his Survey of Beaker Ware. Particulars from R R Clarke, sherds in Ipswich Museum (S6)(R2).
A round barrow is visible on aerial photographs of 1943 as an earthwork centred on circa TM(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) located to the south of Barnes' Carr and Tunstall Forest, Chillesford parish (S7). The barrow is approximately 30m in diameter, and is circa 35m to the south of a second possible barrow (see CHF 002). On the 1943 photographs the barrow is visible as the surrounding area has only very recently been planted as part of Tunstall Forest. However, by 1945 the area is under heavier growth and the earthworks are no longer visible (S8).
1964: Round barrow scheduled by a notice dated 1964 (S1).
1967: A collared urn containing a cremation was rescued from a 'prospector's shaft' into the barrow in August 1967, 8 feet down. The barrow known locally as Money Hill, is 25 yards in diameter and reduced by ploughing to 4 feet high, the surrounding ditch is no longer visible. Mrs Martin reported pit had been dug into centre. Visited by Ipswich Museum staff. Dr Ian Longworth places it in his Secondary Series, South Eastern style (S2).
1972: A bowl barrow, overgrown with fir trees, measuring cira 20. 0m in diameter and 1.2m high. Summit is disturbed by excavation. Name Money Hill not known locally. Urn still in Ipswich Museum. Published survey (25 inch) correct (S3).
1977: During research for barrow survey unlocated by E Martin in coniferous woodland (S4).
1981: Estimated height at three and a half to four feet. Slight depression noted on summit. Some animal disturbance... No tree felling is planned in this area for the next few years (S1). Near CHF 002 barrow.
1987: Forestry Commission reported a hole in the barrow. Visited and noted a roughly rectangular hole, 90cm square and 88cm deep, cut into the N side of the barrow. The trench was fairly fresh and had been partly covered by branches. Nothing was visible in the sections, except a black pan layer, 25cm thick, at a depth of 20cm. A smaller, older, hole 60cm square and 25cm deep was also noted near the S edge of the barrow. Both holes were backfilled. The barrow is approximately 20m in diameter and 1m high (the lie of the land makes it look larger from the S). There are several shallow depressions on the top and the barrow has fir trees growing on it. Some rabbit disturbance is apparent (S5).
1991: Barrow clearly recognisable since that part of FC Forest is devastated. Trees growing on it before. Possible FC wil replant over barrow.
- <M1> SSF44303 (No record type): Barrow survey: archive.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 967-90, 1967.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF15285 (No record type): Owles E & Smedley N, A collared urn of the EMBA from Chillesford, PSIA, 31, 1967, (1), 108-110.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: maplet, copy (S2).
- <R2> SSF7165 (No record type): Grimes W E, Survey of Beaker Ware.
- <M3> SSF44305 (No record type): Slides: BOQ 04-11, 1987.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TM45SW2, 1972.
- <M4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, card index.
- <S4> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S5> SSF19397 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1987.
- <M5> SSF44307 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S6> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 93; card 104.
- <S7> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC132 5040-41 30-DEC-1943.
- <S8> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 3178-9 23-SEP-1945.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13840)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13613)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13067)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13959)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2018 1:46PM