Farmstead record EYE 109 - Farmstead: Cranley Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1526 7284 (180m by 187m)|
|Civil Parish||EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- FARMHOUSE (15th century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- GRANARY (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- BARN (17th century to 19th century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- DISPERSED MULTI YARD PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Group of farm buildings arranged in a courtyard plan in the grounds of Cranley Hall, a 15th C Grade II* timber-framed and plastered farmhouse with mullioned windows and a tiled roof. Adjacent to the house is an 18th C timber-framed and thatched garden house sitting on a brick plinth.
A 17th C timber-framed and plastered house with mullioned windows was converted into stables in the 18th C, during which time a brick floor was laid. An extension was added in the 18th and a number of alterations were also performed. Another 18th C timber-framed and plastered house, covered by weatherboard and brick and with mullioned windows and a tiled roof, was converted into a granary in the 19th C. Part of this structure was also used as an open cowshed.
A 17th C timber-framed and plastered 5 bay barn, sitting on a brick plinth with a slate roof is also present at this site. In the 19th C a porch and an extension were added and the roof was also reconstructed. A 19th C cartlodge is a later addition to this group of buildings (S1).
2015 Eavesdropper Newsletter: Article discussing scribed symbols. The stable at Cranley Hall, dating from before 1621, also contain circular symbols. These are associated with internal replastering which unusually is scribed with a date in March 1774 (S2).
Cranley Hall, Eye. 17th century farmstead and 15th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with dispersed multiple yards. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S3-8).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF58000 Unpublished document: Barnard, M.. Autumn 2015. The Magical Protection of Buildings From Fire 1500-1850, Eavesdropper Newsletter, No. 52, pp.11-12.
- <S3> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S6> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S7> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S8> SSF21877 Map: 1839. Eye Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2020 11:54AM