Monument record ADB 005 - Hazlewood Church; Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4477 5907 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Hazlewood Church. In ruins by 1600. Churchyard remained in use until circa 1700 (S2). At Domesday there were two churches in Aldeburgh - ? Aldeburgh and Hazlewood.
1870: ruins consisted of:- portion of E end window, base of round tower. Human bones found in ploughing adjacent field. The waste ground around the ruins was investigated:- coloured glass found, especially at S end; towards S and W remains or foundation of ?porch - here a large purbeck slab was dug up; fragments of glazed encaustic tiles; coffin lid of oolite, with cross (ill); carved capital of Caen stone; block of dog-tooth carving. 1476 mention of 'the High Altar of Hazlewood' (R1).
1970: Only a single fragment of masonry standing to a maximum height of 1.6m is now visible. At this time the ground plan of the church could not be traced (S1).
Metal detecting in 2003 - med pottery group from c12th-c14th. Hollesley type wares. Also Silver coin 1000-1100 recovered. Also occasional fragmentary Roman sherds found. S3
2015: (ADB 223) The Aldeburgh & District Local History Society (ADLHS) have been conducting fieldwalking adjacent to the ruined St Mary’s Church near Aldeburgh (ALD 005). Finds include prehistoric flints, Roman/ Saxon/ medieval/post-med pottery & medieval decorated floor tile (For details see S4)
2016-2018 (ADB 223) The ADLHS carried out a geophysical survey and dug a number of trial trenches and identified a number of wall foundations of the church confirming the geophysics results (for details see S5)
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP ASK 7.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM45NW3.
- <R1> SSF7422 (No record type): Hele N F, Notes or jottings about Aldeburgh, 1870, 33-34 (ill), 35.
- <R2> SSF2451 (No record type): Bryant T H, Churches of Suffolk, 1, 1912, 21.
- <M2> SSF50051 Unpublished document: Church File. Churches file: RDC.
- <S2> SSF7016 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Anderson, S. SCCAS. Finds report. 11/2003..
- <S4> SSF59305 Unpublished document: Howard -Dobson, P.. 2015. Archaeological fieldwalking report, Chapel Barn Farm Aldeburgh.
- <S5> SSF59306 Unpublished document: Howard -Dobson, P.. 2018. Geophysical, metal detecting and trial excavation Report, Chapel Barn Farm Aldeburgh.
- FSF21475: ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF21476: WINDOW GLASS (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF21477: COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF21478: (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF29696: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF29697: COIN (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 12th century - 1000 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF29698: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 8:37AM