Monument record IKN 001 - Round Barrow on Iken Heath; Bowl Barrow on Iken Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4049 5485 (38m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||IKEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Round Barrow on Iken Heath.
February 1953: Not visible in ploughed field on RAF APs (S4).
1959: Diameter 29 yds, height 2 ft; ditch not visible; condition: spread, badly ploughed over (S3).
Tumulus. 1972 - A bowl barrow, under crop at the time of investigation, measuring circa 18m in diameter and 0.8m high (S1). Wide ring ditch only visible from air (S7).
1977: In a field alongside farm track. Midfield set to grass 1977. Mound height 0.40m, diameter circa 21m (S2).
1981: Monument only just visible as slight rise on corn horizon. Estimate height to be less than 2 ft. Diameter impossible to assess. Ploughed to approximately 10 inches (S3).
1986: Visible as a slight rise in field planted with onions. Approximately 0.40m high, 28m diameter. No artefacts on surface (S3).
1991: Said to be at risk. Totally flat field, no indication of any contour. Land used for free range pigs. Barrow visible in theory from footpath (S5).
December 1994: Visited by S Boulter. Not visible from footpath. Pigs grazing over it (S6).
1996: as above - visited by Colin Pendleton.
June 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The probable Bronze Age round barrow described above is visible as both an earthwork and soilmark on aerial photographs (S8)-(S10). A rather vague, broadly oval feature visible here on lidar flown in 2010 (S11) may represent the remains of the barrow and a spread of material spread by the plough, creating a slight rise in the ground.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 24th June 2015.
- <M1> SSF42853 (No record type): Barrow survey: archive.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM45SW1.
- <M2> SSF42854 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5516 (No record type): EAA, Barrow survey, EAA 12, 1981.
- <M3> SSF42855 (No record type): APs: (S4)(S7).
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF17428 (No record type): RAF, APs, V58 RAF 1033, 86 & 87, February 1953.
- <S5> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S6> SSF19001 (No record type): SAU, Boulter S, December 1994.
- <S7> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS, AP, 72 057 077-079, 1972.
- <S8> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5054-5055 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S9> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RS 4134-4135 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S10> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/72057 V 078-079 24-MAR-1972 (EHA Original Print).
- <S11> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4054 Environment Agency 2m DTM 30-NOV-2010.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13794)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13524)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (Boulter S) (Ref: SAU (Boulter S)) (ESF13931)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12838)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45SW. Mapping Block 2: Iken to Sudbourne. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23194)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 6:24PM