Farmstead record EBG 043 - Farmstead: Park Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0970 3472 (87m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||EAST BERGHOLT, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CART SHED (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COW HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Park Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular courtyard plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S2-5)
Agricultural buildings at Park Farm, which include a 19th C timber-framed and weatherbaorded granary which re-uses a number of 16th C timbers. This includes a finely moulded ceiling joist from a high status Tudor merchant's house. The oak frame remains fairly in-tact but few original fixtures and fittings survive. A neat house or stable may once have existed on the ground floor. Also present is a 19th C brick range which contains a cart shed, shelter shed and cow house. In the cow house the original floor and feed store survives, however few original fixtures and fittings survive in this group of buildings (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54948 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2012. Heritage Asset Assessment: Farm buildings at Park Farm, East Bergholt, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2020 8:11AM