Monument record DUN 099 - Medieval features including an oven, Land Land at St James Street, Dunwich
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4770 7058 (34m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2011: Evaluation trenching for a small residential development identified a clay built oven and ditch of medieval date close to the street frontage. Due to the presence of deep deposits of top and subsoil at the site and the location of the oven preservation in situ was made possible for this feature with subsequent monitoring of ground works recording a large pit of similar date in addition to ensuring the preservation in situ. Of note was the recovery of a significant group of high medieval pottery sherds from various contexts at the site (S1).
2013: evaluation trenching for the second phase of a small residential development identified two pits of high medieval date and another of probable natural origin. The two pits were found some 20m west of the site of a medieval oven that was identified in the first phase of development at the site in 2011, and left preserved in situ, and all of these dateable features may have been created in a single phase of activity at the site in the 13th-14th century period. Another notable single find was an unstratified sherd of Ipswich ware of Middle Saxon date. As in 2011 the depth of overburden at the site was substantial and subsequent monitoring of ground works did not record any additional finds or features (S2)
- <S1> SSF54361 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 2012. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Evaluation and Monitoring, Land Between Tudor House and Sea View Cottage, St James' Street, Dunwich, DUN 099.
- <S2> SSF55317 Unpublished document: Newman J. 2013. Archaeological Evaluation and Monitoring Report, Land at St James Street, Dunwich, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological Evaluation and Monitoring Report, Land at St James Street, Dunwich, Suffolk (Ref: OASIS-johnnewm1-157180) (ESF22302)
- Event - Intervention: Land Between Tudor House and Sea View Cottage, St James' Street, Dunwich (Ref: OASIS-johnnewm1-79201) (ESF21433)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2017 5:12PM