Monument record IPS 674 - Windmill and Tannery, Sacker's Yard, (IAS 7927).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1482 4516 (169m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2000: Desk based assessment. Cartographic evidence from the mid-late 19th century depicts the location of a windmill, and possibly a later steam powered mill alongside the tannery. The date of the windmill is uncertain, but prior to 1845 and likely to be after the canalisation of the Gipping, while the tannery was built between 1845 and 1855 and went out of use in 1987 (S1).
Some documentary data held by the National Archives.
The mill is also illustrated on 1845 Tithe Map, St Matthew's. Tithe Apportionment states: Landowner: Sallows Robert, Occupier: Sallows Robert, Description: House, Mill and Garden (S2).
- <S1> SSF54497 Unpublished document: Letch, A.. 2000. The Tannery, Sacker's Yard, Bramford Road, Ipswich, Suffolk. Archaeological Desk-Based-Assessment. p .9, 12.
- <S2> SSF57814 Map: 1845. Tithe Map and Apportionment, St Matthew's, Ipswich.
- <S3> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Sacker's Yard, Bramford Road, Ipswich, (IAS 7927). (ESF24894)
- Event - Interpretation: Desk Based Asessment, Ipswich UAD Map Interpretation. (ESF25214)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment, Sacker's Yard, Ipswich, (IAS 7927). (Ref: ) (ESF18197)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Sacker's Yard, Bramford Road, Ipswich, (IAS 7927). (ESF21541)
Record last edited
May 12 2021 4:01PM