Monument record BSE 372 - Post-medieval structural remains, Land rear of Westgate House

Please read our .

Summary

Evaluation identfied a number of post medieval structural remains and ditches, some of which may have their origins in the medieval period.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8547 6372 (50m by 74m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Five evaluation trenches were excavated on land to the rear of Westgate House, revealing considerable depths of soil accumulation dating to the post-medieval period. The earliest evidence came from trench 1, comprising a property boundary of potential medieval origin, and a series of backfilled pits, possibly representing the edges of cellars. Trench 2 contained a large backfilled cellar which was backfilled in the 17/18th century, and a sunken floored structure, both of which may relate to a building shown on Warren's map of 1747. Trench 3 produced evidence for a structure evidence of the 1883 and 1903 OS maps, while trench 4 produced evidence for post-medieval planting, probably related to the garden of Westgate House (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Burke, J. and Yates, A.. 2011. Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation, Land at Westgate House, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

Finds (9)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 22 2018 2:47PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.