Farmstead record ERL 226 - Farmstead: Eriswell Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7204 8072 (280m by 341m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Eriswell Hall is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular E-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for commercial use. (S2-5)
15th C manor house with a high quality moulded timber-frame. The current house is a large cross wing, which shows evidence for a great hall being demolished and rebuilt in the 16th C. This includes a moulded beam at the head of the screen between the great hall and cross passage. The service range was significantly altered in the 19th C, at which time many areas of this section of the house were rebuilt. Areas of 17th C painted decoration also survive at the house (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF55055 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2010. A report on the architectural history of Eriswell Hall, Eriswell, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 12:40PM