Farmstead record BKY 031 - Farmstead: Gulling Green Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8276 5642 (75m by 144m)|
|Civil Parish||BROCKLEY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- STABLE (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- COW HOUSE (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- BARN (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD U PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Gulling Green Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with the farmhouse detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a hamlet location. This farmstead survives intact with conversion for residential use. (S1-4)
18th C timber-framed stable and neathouse and an 18th C timber-framed 5 bay barn, both of which re-use timbers from a 16th C farmhouse at the site, rebuilt during the 18th C and also from a 17th C barn which was also once present at the site. There is also a timber-framed cartlodge, however this was mostly rebuilt during the 20th C (S5).
The 18th cenutry barn is five bays long and has a threshing floor at the central bay. A pair of large doors at the centre of the east side is the main entrance. A porch was attached opposite this at the rear of the threshing floor on the west side but this was demolished in the 20th century. Attached ot the north-east corner of the barn is a small structure which was used as a stable with a number of second-hand timbers from a 16th century building. The relationship between the two buildings suggests that the stable was there first, but both buildings probably date from the late 18th century. Both buildings are timber-framed but the barn has a flint-rubble plinth with red brick quoining. The farm buildings were clustered around a compact yard on the east side of the barn. A third structure was added to the east side at the south end of the parn in the early 19th century which is shown on the Tithe Map 1847. It is timber-framed and boarded but was largely rebuilt in the late 20th century. As the structure was open-sided it has been suggested that it was a cart-lodge. A mid 19th century building possibly a loosebox for animals stands to the east of the barn. A farmhouse is shown on the tithe (1847) and enclosure (1850) maps to the east of the farmyard with its east gable adjacent to the east arm of the moat. It was demolished in the mid 20th century (S6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S5> SSF55059 Unpublished document: Bidwells. 2008. Planning and listed building support statement: Gulling Green Barn, Bury Road, Brockley.
- <S6> SSF58136 Unpublished document: Aitken, P.. 2008. A Report on the Architectural History of Farm Buildings at Gulling Green, Brockley, Bury St Edmunds.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 3:00PM