Farmstead record WGD 033 - Farmstead: Gables Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2356 7830 (80m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||WINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- THRESHING BARN (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- CART SHED (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- MILKING PARLOUR (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FODDER STORE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Outbuildings at Gables Farm, which include a 17th C timber-framed and weatherboarded threshing barn of 4 bays. The current barn was originally constructed in the early 17th C but was rebuilt in the late 17th C, with further alterations carried out in the 18th C. The roof is unusually built using sweet chestnut.
Also present is an 18th C timber framed milking parlour, constructed using re-used timber and extended during the 19th as well as an 18th C timber-framed cartlodge with a 19th C brick extension.
In the 19th C brick stables, a timber-framed and brick fodder store and a brick and flint cattle shed were also constructed (S1).
Gables Farm, Wingfield. 17th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the tradtional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF55170 Unpublished document: North, C. 2008. Historical Analysis relating to The Barn and Associated Outbuildings, Gables Farm, Wingfield, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF56636 Map: 1842. Wingfield Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 18 2021 1:37PM