Monument record MNL 710 - Land South of Worlington Road, Mildenhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 706 740 (219m by 194m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2013: The initial geophysical survey identified a negative linear anomaly, possibly representing a bank or earthwork relating to an earlier field boundary, and a small poistive curvi-linear anomaly and a number of small, roughly circular positive anomalies which may represent cut features (S1).
2014: The first phase of archaeological evaluation trenching revealed a post medieval boundary ditch and two undated ditches. A single sherd of Roman pottery, one flint and animal bone were recovered from the features (S2).
2015: The second phase of archaeological evaluation trenching revealed a series of Late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age pits and two Iron Age ditches. Prehistoric finds were also recovered from a series of natural hollows across the site. Worked flint including a Mesolithic bladelet and a late Neolithic sub-circular invasively retouched knife. Prehistoric pottery dating from the Late Neolithic to the Middle Iron Age was also recovered, including sherds of Grooved Ware, Beaker and Collared Urn (S3).
2016: A further phase of evaluation trenching on the site are ongoing.
- <S1> SSF57424 Unpublished document: Prestidge, O.J.. 2013. Geophysical Survey Report: Worlington Road, Mildenhall.
- <S2> SSF56745 Unpublished document: Moan, P.. 2014. Land South of Worlington Road, Mildenhall: Archaeological Evaluation Report. Phase 1.
- <S3> SSF57911 Unpublished document: Jarosz-Blackburn, R.. 2015. Archaeological Evaluation, Land South of Worlington Road Mildenhall, Stage 2.
- FSF43317: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF43318: FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF43319: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF45341: POTTERY BEAKER (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45342: COLLARED URN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45343: POTTERY (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45344: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF45345: POTTERY (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 350 BC to 50 BC)
- FSF45346: KNIFE (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF45347: BLADELET (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF45348: FLAKE (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45349: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45350: CORE (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45351: BURNT FLINT (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Phase 2, land south of Worlington Road, Mildenhall (Ref: OASIS-oxfordar3-221296) (ESF25805)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Phase I, Land South of Worlington Road, Mildenhall (Ref: OASIS-oxfordar3-169999) (ESF24571)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land at Worlngton Road, Mildenhall (Ref: OASIS-oxfordar3-272798) (ESF25308)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey - Worlington Road, Mildenhall (Ref: OASIS-stratasc1-170158) (ESF25141)
Record last edited
Apr 14 2020 11:08AM