Monument record THD 033 - Medieval pits at Moat Farm, High Street, Thorndon.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1422 6932 (36m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||THORNDON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two small medieval pits which contained a few medieval pottery sherds. Both pits were 0.4m across and 0.12m-0.15m deep. Environmental evidence shows the pits contained mixed refuse including hearth waste, dietary refuse and possible sewage or animal ordure. A domestic use is also suggested by the presence of egg shell, fishbone, mussel shell, small bone fragments in addition to cereal grains. Further excavation revealed 3 more possible small, shallow pits. Another substantial pit was discovered 0.9m wide and 0.5m deep which contained a few medieval pottery sherds. Excavation also revealed one large north-south aligned ditch which was 2.3m wide and 0.9m deep with a gently rounded proile. The fill of this ditch contaned small fragments of Post medieval brick and peg tile. Medieval coarse and late medieval glazed wares pottery sherds were found and are typical for central Suffolk in the late 12th/13th century to 15th/16th century period.
Over all the archaeological activity has recorded evidence of high and late medieval activity on a historic road frontage and close to a moat. This archaeological evidence fits well with the linear settlement pattern still apparent at Throndon with various historic houses and cottages (S1).
- <S1> SSF57737 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 2014. Evaluation and Excavation Report: Land opposite Moat Farm, High Street, Thorndon..
- FSF44885: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF44886: CEREAL GRAIN (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF44887: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF44888: MUSSEL SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF44889: EGG SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF44890: FISH REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2017 2:10PM