Monument record BRF 106 - Ring ditch, IA enclosure, prehistoric pits and Roman field system at Loraine Way, Bramford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1178 4868 (684m by 1289m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- PIT (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- PIT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- PIT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- CONCENTRIC RING DITCH (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- TRACKWAY? (Unknown date)
2014: Evaluation confirmed the presence of some of the anomalies found during the geophysical survey. The identified evidence included a double ring ditch monument of possible Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age date, an Iron Age enclosure and Roman field system and an undated trackway. There were other undated features as well as two post-medieval field boundary ditches (S1).
2016-17: Evaluation revealed post-medieval ditches which corresponded with field boundaries marked on a late 18th century estate plan. Other undated ditches did not correspond with documented boundaries suggesting they relate to earlier, possily prehistoric or Roman, field systems. Of greater significance were three pits that contained quantities of prehistoric pottery along with flint tools and flakes. One has been dated to the Early Neolithic whilst the other two contained Early Iron Age pottery. A further two pits were revealed in the vicinity of the Early Iron Age features, although these are earlier, having been dated to the Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age period (S2).
- <S1> SSF59129 Unpublished document: Egan, S.. 2014. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land at Bramford Dairy Farm, Little Blakenham.
- <S2> SSF57936 Unpublished document: Sommers, M., and Everett, L.. 2016. Archaeological Evaluation & Strip, Map and Excavation Report: Proposed Greenhouse, Loraine Way, Bramford.
- FSF45602: POTTERY (Early Iron Age to Middle Iron Age - 800 BC to 101 BC)
- FSF45603: FIRED CLAY (Unknown date)
- FSF45604: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF45605: BURNT FLINT (Unknown date)
- FSF45606: POTTERY (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF45607: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF45608: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45609: QUERN (Unknown date)
- FSF45610: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF49079: CORE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF49080: FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF49081: BLADE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF49082: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land at Dairy Farm, Bramford (Ref: OASIS-Suffolka1-235137) (ESF23361)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Land at Bramford Dairy Farm, Bramford (Ref: OASIS-molanort1-193284) (ESF22489)
- Event - Intervention: Strip Map and Sample - Bramford and Blakenham Greenhouses, Little Blakenham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-271946) (ESF25238)
- Event - Intervention: Strip, map, and excavate - Lower Dairy Farm, Bramford (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-342711) (ESF24436)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2022 5:29PM