Monument record FXL 006 - Foxhall Hall Pit, Foxhall, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2299 4352 (67m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1855: Foxhall Jaw - claimed early human mandible, stratigraphical position very dubious, found in 1855, reputedly in the gravel heap of a coprolite pit (S8,S6,S3,S9, S10). Fomerly recorded under FXL 001.
Description of find etc., in Basil Brown archive, taken from article published in 1921 (S1, S7).
1923: Flint implements found in Foxhall Hall Pit (S1, S2, S4, S5). Wymer, believed all claimed flint finds from foxhall to be natural. This should be reassessed in light of the recent finds (2000s) at Pakefield and Happisburgh, (S11)
- --- SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. S6, S9, S2.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW6.
- <S2> SSF16542 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1924. On Some Further Flint Implements of Pliocene Age Discovered in Suffolk. 4, 1. 46-53.
- <S3> SSF16532 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1921. Further Discoveries of Humanly-Fashioned Flints in and Beneath the Red Crag of Suffolk. 3. 390-398.
- <S4> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. Pg.234-236.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S6> SSF11441 Bibliographic reference: Moir J R. 1927. The Antiquity of Man in East Anglia.
- <S7> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 107.
- <S8> SSF21484 Unpublished document: Spencer, H E P. No Date. A Contribution to the Geological History of Suffolk, Lowestoft.
- <S9> SSF5551 Article in serial: East Anglian Magazine. 1965. The Foxhall Man.
- <S10> SSF16426 Article in serial: Osborn, Henry Fairfield. 1921. The Pliocene Man of Foxhall in East Anglia.
- <S11> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2020 12:49PM