Monument record HWT 051 - Neolithic and Bronze Age pits at Land north and east of Hill Farm Road, Halesworth
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3944 7758 (318m by 285m)|
|Civil Parish||HALESWORTH, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
2017: Negative geophysical survey (S1)
2018: Trial trench evaluation identified a large pit that was purposely lined with flint cobbles and contained a significant amount of Early Neolithic pottery, struck flint, and flint tools. Two further undated features may also relate to this period of activity.
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S2)
Full evaluation report to follow
2018: An excavation was undertaken following the identification of a Neolithic pit during the evaluation. The excavation area was centred on a single large, flint lined, Early Neolithic pit and a
small undated pit found during the evaluation phase. The Neolithic pit contained an assemblage of worked flint and Mildenhall style pottery, the varied condition of which suggested repeated instances of deposition or redeposition of midden material. Radiocarbon dating of hazel nut-shell retrieved from the fill returned a date of 3928-3668 cal. BC.
Four additional pits were discovered during the excavation works, the two larger of which have been dated to the Late Bronze Age and the other two are undated. The two Late Bronze Age pits contained assemblages of heat-altered stone and flint, fired clay, struck flint and pottery associated with the post-Deverel-Rimbury (tradition of the Late Bronze Age-Early Iron Age. Radiocarbon dating of hazel nut-shell retrieved from the fill of one returned a date of 1221-1040 cal. BC.
Three linear features were also recorded. These all contained residual struck flint but are thought likely to date to the post-medieval period and to relate to other features of this date seen across the evaluation, although no secure dating evidence was found.
A small medieval pilgrims badge was discovered in the topsoil during metal detecting
during the excavation phase. (S3)
- <S1> SSF57974 Unpublished document: Brown, H.. 2017. Geophysical Survey, Hill Farm Road, Halesworth, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- <S3> SSF60485 Unpublished document: Green, M.. 2019. Archaeological Excavation: Land East of Hill Fram Road, Halesworth.
- FSF53449: POTTERY (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FSF53450: POTTERY (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF53451: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF53452: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF53453: BRICK (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF53454: PEG TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF53455: FIRED CLAY (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF53456: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF53457: END SCRAPER (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF53458: HAMMERSTONE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF53459: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF53460: BURNT FLINT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF53461: PILGRIM BADGE (13th century to 16th century - 1250 AD to 1500 AD)
- FSF53462: STRAP END (14th century to 15th century - 1300 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF53463: BUCKLE (17th century to 18th century - 1690 AD to 1720 AD)
- FSF53464: ANIMAL REMAINS (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF53466: CEREAL GRAIN (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF53467: HAZEL NUT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land north and east of Hill Farm Road, Halesworth (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-326838) (ESF26386)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land East of Hill Farm, Halesworth (Ref: OASIS: suffolka1-338343) (ESF29021)
- Event - Intervention: Geophysical Survey - Land north and east of Hill Farm Road, Halesworth (Ref: OASIS-magnitud1-277727) (ESF25449)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2022 11:59AM