Monument record WHR 093 - Undated ditches and a Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age pit, Land at Klondyke, Whersted
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1598 4174 (135m by 133m)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Evaluation trenching revealed that an area at the eastern end of the site had been used in the early 20th century for the quarrying of sand or brickearth, with a large quarry pit identified. Two undated ditches were recorded in the southwest corner and a single Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age pit, containing worked flint and pottery. The alignment and character of the undated ditches suggest that they are potentially part of the later drainage system and may represent an attempt at making the field agriculturally viable, however they could equally be of contemporary date to the late Bronze Age/early Iron Age pit (S1).
- <S1> SSF58468 Unpublished document: Cuthbert, M.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Klondyke/Land between Bourne Hill and A137, Wherstead.
- FSF47067: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF47068: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF47069: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF47070: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47071: CUFF LINK (18th century to 19th century - 1750 AD to 1800 AD)
- FSF47072: FLAKE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF47073: CORE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF47074: BLADE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 16 2018 10:30AM