Monument record WRW 089 - Multiple probable post medieval boundary banks and ditches.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (13)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
- PARISH BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WOOD BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLANTATION BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
September 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An area of earthwork banks and a ditches, of a probable post medieval date, are seen on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S1-S2). The banks and ditches most likely relate to post medieval boundary banks forming a system of boundaries, plantation boundaries, a parish boundary, field boundaries, wood banks, possible trackways and tree belts. It is also possible some of the banks may be natural or modern in origin. This record incorporates earthworks recorded from the Breckland National Mapping Programme as well as earthworks recorded from field visits (SHER WRW 021, WRW 028, WRW 031, WRW 045) and banks recorded on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map. Some of the banks (principally those centred at TL8212 7357, TL 8253 7364, TL 8253 7435) may have previously been situated on an area of heathland depicted on Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map (S3). It is possible that the bank centred at TL 8211 7381 may relate to a natural feature. Some of the banks in the east of the record (principally centred at TL 8391 7331, at TL 8357 7315, TL 8359 7291 and TL 8361 7265) may relate to the parish boundary between the parishes Culford and Wordwell. The banks are in close proximity to further boundary banks relating to probable post medieval parish boundaries to the east (SHER WRW 076).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 10th September 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/2021 RP 1705-1706 21-APR-1947 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 9:22AM