Farmstead record CAV 090 - Farmstead: Blacklands

Please read our .

Summary

Blacklands is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular multi yard with U-plan, L-plan, and full plan elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8103 4695 (162m by 166m)
Map sheet TL84NW
Civil Parish CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (7)

Full Description

Blacklands is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular multi yard with U-plan, L-plan, and full plan elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S1-4)

Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.

Taken from NRHE record:
Blacklands Hall moat is a long curved channel, graduating from 20 ft wide at the north east and to 60 ft at the south west.

The remains of this moat consist of a long narrow arm extending in a north east to south west direction, with the south west end considerably widened for use as a duckpond. There are further
remains, dry and overgrown, at TL 81104704 and the whole is in fair condition.

Blacklands; a 16th century timber-framed building, restored in 1850.

Blacklands Hall, name confirmed, has been extensively restored. All that remains of the moat which surrounded the hall is the NW arm, filled by a stream at the N angle, which is 180m long and 10m wide; the west angles, enlarged to form a pond; and a small portion of the NE arm, 40m long, 10m wide and 2m deep, which is now dry.

No evidence of a causeway can be seen on the surviving arms.
Published 1:2500 survey revised.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
  • <S2> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
  • <S3> Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
  • <S4> Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
  • <S5> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: William Page. 1911. The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk, volume one.
  • <S7> Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 10 2021 11:43AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.