Farmstead record WKB 091 - Farmstead: Clopton House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7666 5475 (172m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||WICKHAMBROOK, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Clopton House is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with large modern sheds on site. (S1-4)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
From NHRE record:
(TL 766547) Clopton Hall (NAT) (S5)
Clopton Hall is a timber framed and plastered house of two storeys, attics and cellars, built circa 1500. It has jettied gables, and two projecting gabled porches, one of which, the north west, is of two storeys. Grade 2*. (S6)
TL 76685472. Clopton Hall (name confirmed) as described. See
Published 1:2500 survey correct. (S7)
- <S1> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S5> SSF59904 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. 6".
- <S6> SSF59804 Bibliographic reference: District of St Edmundsbury. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 30-MAR-81.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2021 11:04AM