Monument record BRH 003 - Eastall's Pit, Barham, (Railway Crossing Pits), (Mesolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 120 511 (310m by 483m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1947-1966: Flint scatter associated with black layer 18 inches deep over a large area. Many waste flakes TM 120 512: Small pick, twelve scrapers, microliths, flakes (S1-S7).
Area after Mowat, (S6). Pit is called Eastall's by Wymer and Jacobi (as is the southern most pit), but referred to planning department as railway crossing pit, see map.
Also Palaeolithic, Neolithic and Saxon records.
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- <S1> SSF55953 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1966. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1966. XXX.3, pp. 275–283.. 277.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 966-127, 1966.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1947-39, 1948-108 & 110, 1951-111, 958-117, 961-146, 962-67.
- <S4> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 873, M 872, M 871.
- <S5> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11307, 11308, 252.
- <S6> SSF19496 Unpublished document: Mowat, R.. 1976. SAU, Mowat R, site reports, BRH 023, 1976.
- <S7> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 253.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF55956 Article in serial: Owles, E. & Smedley, N.. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1967.
- <S10> SSF55973 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1968. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1968. PSIAH, 1968, XXXI.2, pp. 188–201..
- FSF14556: CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF14557: MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF14558: AXE TRIMMING FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF49870: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF49871: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF49872: BORER (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF52118: TRANCHET AXEHEAD (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation? Eastall's Pit, Barham, (Railway Crossing Pits), (Mesolithic). (ESF27087)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit Eastall's Pit, Barham, (Railway Crossing Pits), (Mesolithic). (ESF28331)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 1:30PM