Monument record SPT 002 - Sproughton Knoll, Sproughton, (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 129 445 (119m by 119m)|
|Civil Parish||SPROUGHTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1924: Mesolithic occupation site discovered on a knoll 10 feet above the river flood plain by Mr E Amey of Ipswich; occupation layer was 16 inches below the suface (S1). Finds included 12 cores, 4 scrapers and 17 flakes (Ipswich Museum) (S2). Excavations said to have been at TM 1291 4459 (S1). This site is shown as 'Camp' on OS 6 inch map 1924 edition (revised) with 1938 additions. Further excavations by J Reid Moir produced a pick, 17 cores, circa 225 flakes, circa 10 scrapers and 2 microliths (Ipswich Museum) (S2).
1928: Excavations by D Garrod produced 5 axes, 5 picks, 122 cores, 544 flakes and 8 scrapers (Ipswich Museum) (S2).
1958: Trenching for a sewage system produced pits with more finds, mixed with Bronze Age and Neolithic material, 14 cores, circa 200 flakes, 17 scrapers, 1 pick (S2,S5, S3).
1984: Tranchet axe with grey-white patination recovered, (S8)
See also , (S9, S10)
HER polygon revised to cover area shown by OS and findspots cited above (Feb 2008).
See also Neolithic and Bronze Age records (Sewage works site).
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TM14SW3, 1977.
- <S2> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 264.
- <S3> SSF56034 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1959. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1959. XXVIII.2, pp. 161–167..
- <S4> SSF1374 Bibliographic reference: boswell, P.G.H.. 1927. The geology of the country around Ipswich. Boswell P G H, The geology of the country around Ipswich, London, HMSO, 1927.
- <S5> SSF55957 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1958. Archaeology in Suffolk 1958.
- <S6> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 138; volume XCVI, 137.
- <S7> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1924-94, 1958-123, 1925-94.
- <S8> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: drawing of axe found 1984.
- <S8> SSF59633 Finds Illustration: SAU. 1984. Tranchet Axe, Sproughton Knoll.
- <S9> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11594, 11475, 11289.
- <S10> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1166, M 1164.
- <S11> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF17298: CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF17299: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51166: FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51167: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51168: PICK (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51169: OBLIQUELY BLUNTED/PARTIALLY BACKED MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51170: AXEHEAD (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51171: CORE REJUVINATION FLAKE = CORE TABLET (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Sproughton Knoll, Sproughton (Ref: Axe) (ESF27904)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Sproughton Knoll, Sproughton (Ref: Sewage Trench) (ESF27903)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Sproughton Knoll, Sproughton (Ref: Amey) (ESF16069)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Sproughton Knoll, Sproughton (Ref: Garrod D & Moir J Reid) (ESF15510)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Sproughton Knoll, Sproughton (Ref: Moir) (ESF27902)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 11:16AM