Monument record IPS 030 - Clover Close, Speedwell Road, Violet Close, Ipswich, (IAS 9508).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 148 436 (204m by 261m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1951: Finds from Violet Close, mainly 1st Century, and from Clover Close and Speedwell Road. Also 3rd and 4th Century and Anglo Saxon.. Features include ditches. Finds include knives, stylus?, bronze bracelet, bow-type brooch, number of Constantine coins, and considerable quantity of 1st Century pottery sherds.
The principal area of late Roman finds extended north from Clover Close to Speedwell Road (referred to as Speedwell Avenue in IPSMG records) with a large feature, either a pit or more likely a north-south ditch, up to 8 feet deep, discovered in 1951 and excavated by Harold Spencer and Stanley West in August 1951. The location shown in a sketch in IPSMG is aroound TM 1490 4372. Finds from the feature included a group of 19 4th Century coins (latest 378-383), iron knives, a fragment of bronze 3-strand cable bracelet, and a large group of late Roman pottery including shell-gritted wares, grey wares, imported Mayen ware, late fine wares and, unusually, some hand-made jars probably 4th Century types from south-east England (Kent or Sussex?) Also listed with this group are three bone hair pins, (S1-S4)
Also a Bronze age Beaker (S5) was found. It is uncertain if this was found by the 1951 Excavation.
1977: A denarius of Balbinus (AD 238) was found.
See also, (S6, S7).
- --- SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Plouviez, J, SCCAS, Notes on the existing records and analysis of the pottery from Speedwell Rd,1997.
- --- SSF57698 Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG Accessions register and Extensions, 1951.149, .150, .172-.176..
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1950-183-154, 1951.174.13, 1951.77.
- <S3> SSF56671 Unpublished document: Plouviez J. 1997. Notes on the existing records and analysis of the pottery from Speedwell Road.
- <S4> SSF11009 Article in serial: Maynard, G.. 1950. Recent archaeological field work in Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF3595 Source Unchecked: Clarke, D.. 1970. Beaker pottery, 1970, 497, corpus number 910F.
- <S6> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 9508.
- <S7> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 9508.
- FSF24710: PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF24711: POTTERY MUCH HADHAM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF24712: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF24713: POTTERY OXFORD (Roman - 250 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF24714: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 70 AD to 250 AD)
- FSF43200: POTTERY? (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF43201: BROOCH (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF43202: SLING BULLET (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF43204: LOOMWEIGHT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF43205: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF605: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF631: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF632: KNIFE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF633: STYLUS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF634: BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF635: BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF636: COIN (Roman - 306 AD to 383 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2017 2:44PM