Monument record IPS 072 - Stoke Hill Rail Tunnel, Ipswich, (IAS 9301, IAS 9501).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 159 435 (311m by 309m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1846: Flint implements and Pleistocene mammals. Found in construction of Stoke Hill Tunnel. Investigation of the railway cutting etc. Revealed a black layer of bones and associated flints (S1).
1948: Excavation at Stoke Hill by H E P Spencer in 1949. Finds probably `eolithic, (S1, S2).
See also (S3-S6).
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. Pg.227-234.
- <S2> SSF3137 Index: Carr J. 1989. Carr J (RCHME), Draft Excavation Index, 1989.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1920-73A, 1-25.
- <S4> SSF10496 Article in serial: Layard, N.F.. 1910. Animal remains from the railway cutting at Ipswich (including bones and teeth of a heavy-limbed horse). Layard N, PSIA, 14, 1910, 59 - 69.
- <S5> SSF10495 Article in serial: Layard, N.F.. 1919. The Stoke Bone-Bed, Ipswich. Layard N, PPSEA, 1919, 219.
- <S6> SSF9918 Article in serial: Ipswich Geological Group. Stoke Hill Rail Tunnel, Ipswich. Ipswich Geol Group Bull, 19, 1977, 2 - 5.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Stoke Hill Rail Tunnel, Ipswich, (IAS 9301, IAS 9501). (ESF24437)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Stoke Hill Rail Tunnel, Ipswich. (Ref: Spencer H E P (IPSMG)) (ESF15819)
Record last edited
Jan 10 2020 1:44PM