Monument record IPS 468 - Former Railway Depot, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1627 4320 (296m by 471m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
In 1845 work commenced on the Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds railway line, and a temporary railway station was built at the Croft Street end of the site in 1846, which remained in use until 1860 and was demolished by 1884. A map of 1849 shows two additional depot buildings, with additional buildings and extensive railway sidings added by 1884. The railway depot was substantially expanded between 1884 and 1927, with further modifications between 1927 and 1968, although the two railway depots of 1849 still survived at this time. One of the 1849 depots was demolished in 2003 (S1).
1919: Excavation by Nina Layard, Faunal remains found, also a levallois core (Wymer suggests possibly neolithic) and scrapers, (S5-S7).
1975: Excavation by Wymer, animal remains and flint flakes found. Excavation by Wymer, more than one mammoth, mainly one animal with two feet stuck in silt. No signs of butchery, probably drowned. Other animals reported included red deer, horse, wolf, bird, fish and rodents. Sediments deposited by equivalent of Orwell during Ipswichian interglacial, circa 110,000 to 80,000 BP. Bone bed may be due to a meander banked against a cliff of Reading and London clay, which prevented animals escaping at times of flood, (S5).
1977: Excavation by Markham (IPSMG) on the same site as Wymer's 1975 Excavation, (S5, S8).
2004: A desk-based assessment was undertaken in advance of proposals to redevelop the former railway depot, (S1).
2005: Evaluation and Environmental Investigation, 19th century pit and animal bones, (S2, S3).
2005: Monitoring of groundworks, no finds or features, (S4).
2006: Monitoring of groundworks, no finds or features, (S4).
- <S1> SSF53691 Unpublished document: Hawkins, D.. 2004. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment. Land at Croft Street, Ipswich.
- <S2> SSF54545 Unpublished document: Green, C, P. Silva, N, P. Branch. And Athersuch, J.. An environmental archaeological investigation at Stoke tunnel, land to the south of Croft street, Ipswich.
- <S3> SSF50407 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2005. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Land to the South of Croft Street, Ipswich (IPS 468).
- <S4> SSF52241 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2005. Archaeological Monitoring Report. Residential development of former British Rail land, Wherstead Road and Croft Street, Ipswich.
- <S5> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 216.
- <S6> SSF10495 Article in serial: Layard, N.F.. 1919. The Stoke Bone-Bed, Ipswich.
- <S7> SSF10496 Article in serial: Layard, N.F.. 1910. Animal remains from the railway cutting at Ipswich (including bones and teeth of a heavy-limbed horse).
- <S8> SSF9918 Article in serial: Ipswich Geological Group. Stoke Hill Rail Tunnel, Ipswich.
- <S9> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22750.
- FSF43130: FLAKE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC to 178000 BC)
- FSF43131: RETOUCHED FLAKE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- FSF43132: LEVALLOIS CORE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- FSF43133: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS5e - 126000 BC to 114000 BC)
- FSF43134: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS5e - 126000 BC to 114000 BC)
- FSF43135: ANIMAL REMAINS (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (11)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Stoke Hill Rail Tunnel, Ipswich, (IAS 9301, IAS 9501). (ESF24437)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Former Railway Depot, Ipswich, (IAS 9303). (ESF24692)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment, Land at Croft Street, Ipswich. (ESF20724)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Environmental Sampling, Former Railway Depot, Ipswich. (ESF21578)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Croft Street, Ipswich. (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-5823) (ESF20117)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Former Railway Depot, Ipswich, (IAS 9303). (ESF16134)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Former Railway Depot, Ipswich. (ESF24441)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Former Railway Depot, Ipswich. (Ref: Layard N) (ESF16060)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Croft Street, Ipswich. (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-10412) (ESF19366)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Croft Street, Ipswich. (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-10412) (ESF24438)
Record last edited
Jan 14 2020 12:39PM