Find Spot record IPS 075 - Woodbridge Road East, Ipswich, (IAS 8701).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1938 4514 (118m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
c. 1933: Acheulean hand-axe, found in digging a sewer trench. Also recorded by Moir (1933). Moir also illustrates half a broken ovate hand-axe found beside a gas trench alongside the new by-pass. It lay mixed with chalky gravel, (S1-S4).
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. p 227.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1932-87.
- <S3> SSF56453 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1933. Hand-axes from Glacial Beds at Ipswich..
- <S4> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22763, 22759.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 5 2021 1:47PM