Find Spot record IPS 137 - Cliff Quay Generating Station, Ipswich, (IAS 9111).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1705 4210 (690m by 683m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1920, 1929, 1932, 1948: Flint implements, reindeer bones, solutrean flint blades, large mousterian implement (Handaxe?), flakes, (S3).
1956: Palaeolithic thigh bone of giant ox or bison dredged up during Cliff Quay extension work . EADT cutting, 13.10.56 shows photograph and gives description (S1).
See also (S3, S4).
See also IPS 060 and 928. Wymer (S5) suggests that there is overlap of the finds due to imprecise provenenance.
White and Pettitt (S6) note that all claimed "Solutrean" examples in Britain are likely Earlier Upper Palaeolithic.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, LXIV, 9.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1920-15, 1929-24-27, 1932-153, 1948-82.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 9111.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 9111.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22754?.
- <S6> SSF56339 Bibliographic reference: Pettitt, P.B. & White, M.J.. 2012. The British Palaeolithic: Human Societies at the Edge of the Pleistocene World.
- FSF17703: FLAKE (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF17704: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- FSF29014: BLADE (Early Upper Palaeolithic (LRJ) - 42000 BC? to 40000 BC?)
- FSF43093: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- FSF43094: FLAKE (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF50063: HANDAXE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC? to 42000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 10 2020 2:55PM