Monument record IPS 150 - (Former) Electric Power Station, Constantine Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9604).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1547 4425 (179m by 142m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1903: Flint knives found (leaf points).
1916: Handaxes found in the early part of 1916 the Ipswich Corporation were constructing a coal handling plant at the electric power station, Constantine road. A layer of loam 14ft below the surface (13ft OD c.1916) contained Mousterian implements. These were found in conjunction with Mammoth and reindeer remains Wymer as of broad Devensian age. Using the depth information a find height of -0.3m OD is known.
1918: Solutrean blade?
Pettitt and white (S7) argue convincingly, that all British examples claimed to be Solutrean are in fact earlier Leaf points.
- --- SSF11433 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1924. A Series of Solutré Blades from Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 9604.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 9604.
- <S5> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- <S6> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22747.
- <S7> SSF56339 Bibliographic reference: Pettitt, P.B. & White, M.J.. 2012. The British Palaeolithic: Human Societies at the Edge of the Pleistocene World.
- FSF17705: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS5d to MIS4 - 113000 BC? to 55000 BC?)
- FSF17706: LEAF POINT? (Early Upper Palaeolithic (LRJ) - 42000 BC? to 40000 BC?)
- FSF43210: HANDAXE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC to 42000 BC)
- FSF50064: FLAT BUTTED CORDATE (BOUT COUPE) HANDAXE? (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC to 42000 BC)
- FSF50065: FLAKE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC? to 42000 BC?)
- FSF50066: LEVALLOIS FLAKE (Late Middle Paleolithic - 52000 BC? to 42000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation? (Former) Electric Power Station, Constantine Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9604). (ESF24508)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation? (Former) Electric Power Station, Constantine Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9604). (ESF24509)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation? (Former) Electric Power Station, Constantine Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9604). (ESF24510)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
Record last edited
Sep 9 2020 12:00PM