Monument record ASG 008 - Ashfield House

Please read our .


Scheduled Monument - Stone Cross (inscribed).


Grid reference Centred TL 9992 6815 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TL96NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Stone Cross (inscribed).
The stone is 10 feet 6 inches high and has a repaired breakage. Set in a socket-stone, 22 inches x 6 inches (? C18). The top is wheel-headed and has a cross with four equal arms cut in the centre (possibly done when the cross was re-erected). The N and S sides of the stem bear a continuous vine- scroll pattern. On the E side a panel contains the inscription "REG DOURIVIAG'. Floral decoration on sides suggests a date of circa 1250. Made of Barnack stone (S1).
The cross is said to have formed a bridge across the stream at the entrance to Gt Ashfield churchyard and to have been moved to Ashfield House by Lord Thurlow ( died 1806).
1980: Barnack stone cross, found re-used as a footbridge and re-erected circa 1800 in the grounds of Ashfield House. Stands about 10 ft high on a stone plinth (C18?) about 9 x 14 ins square. The floral decoration on each side suggests a date of circa 1250. There are remains of an inscription, now indecipherable but worth more study. Two sides are worn and a plain equal- armed cross has been carved on the top of one (presumably when it was re- erected). The stone broke in 3 when it was being re-erected and was mended with iron and lead clamps which are now in need of attention. Otherwise the cross is as described in 1930, in a sheltered corner of a garden (S2). 1981: Cross as described above. Lead and iron clamps still in need of attention. Green fungus is beginning to cover front of cross (S2). 1986: NE and SW faces of cross dished. Breaks recently re-mortared and re- clamped. Shaft held to plinth by lead clamps (S2)(S3).
Med cross mentioned in Pevsner at Asfield-Cum-Thorpe (S4) almost certainly mislocated.

Sources/Archives (10)

  • <M1> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <S1> (No record type): Copinger Hill H, Great Ashfield Cross, PSIA, 20, pt 3, 1930, 280-286, and plate.
  • <R1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE29.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
  • <S3> Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Great Ashfield, 2000, SRO(B).
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1961-1967.
  • <S5> Map: OS. OS Map. OS 1:2500 1973.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: West, S.E.. 1998. A corpus of Anglo-Saxon material from Suffolk (EAA 84).
  • <S7> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 26-MAR-81.
  • <S8> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Mar 30 2021 9:36AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.