Monument record CHT 001 - Chilton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 890 427 (150m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||CHILTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Moat. Square, occupied, isolated but near church.
"Substantial fragment of an early Tudor brick mansion..." (S1). For 1597 illustration of Hall in perspective see (S6).
Monitoring of conservatory footing trenches within the moated area identified a shallow brick footing made from Tudor bricks, a horizon of disturbed soil and a probable pit containing 13th century pottery and animal bone, indicating occupation on the site prior to the Tudor mansion (S3).
Brief details of C16 walled garden 0.3ha in grounds of c.1.75ha. in (S2) - see CHT 005.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF5730 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Part 39 Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF54578 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. Archaeological Monitoring - Chilton Hall, Sudbury, CHT 001.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, CP/97/12/12, 1997.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/14/4 & 5.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 4 2017 11:48AM