Monument record BSE 050 - Westley Road, Bury St. Edmunds, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 834 642 (66m by 32m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1880s: Hand-axes, Acheulean, etc, and mammoth tooth found in brickearth (? Gipping (Wolstonian, MIS 6-10) glaciation) pockets extracted on north side of Westley Road (S4), (Prigg's No 2 pit). Human skull fragment (BSEMS 1978.282) supposedly from one of these deposits but fluorine tested and showed more recent after re-investigation of site (no finds) in 1949 (S2).
Only smallish pits shown on the 1904 OS map are the former brickworks and its pit (BSE 099, which includes a record of an undated, nearly complete, skeleton) at TL 8382 6436, and at TL 8474 6466 and TL 8349 6482 (both on the south edge of Newmarket Road!) but the 1886 map also shows a small pit just on the north side of Westley Road at TL 8341 6429 which seems the likely candidate for Prigg's No 2 pit. Note (S2) states that handaxes came from the same brickearth deposit in adjacent pits but not actually this particular pit. As the extenst no doubt changed and is unknown, the location can be considered as accurate, albeit with slight uncertainty over excat extents of workings, (S7)
See also Undated record (S1). For more details see (S2-S3).
Further info in the Suffolk Geodiversity Audit and ERPP [?] 1996 (S5),
Note that in 2018 a sizeable Roman Villa? Complex has been excavated in the vicinity, (BSE 523). This could be the source of the skeleton at BSE 099.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SW15.
- <S2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <S2> SSF942 Article in serial: Baden Powell D F W & Oakley K P. 1952. Report on the Re-investigation of the Westley (Bury St. Edmunds) Skull Site. Baden Powell D F W & Oakley K P, Proc Prehist Soc, 18, 1952, 1-20, ill.
- <S3> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 138, 139.
- <S4> SSF16581 Article in serial: Prigg, H.. 1885. On a Portion of a Human Skull of Supposed Palaeolithic Age from near Bury St Edmunds.. Prigg H, J Royal Anthrop Inst, 14, 1885, 51-55.
- <S5> SSF59417 Personal Correspondence: Holt-Wilson. 2011. Tim Holt Wilson.
- <S6> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22595.
- <S7> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF17627: HANDAXE (MIS10 - 372000 BC? to 335000 BC?)
- FSF17628: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC to 128000 BC)
- FSF17629: AXEHEAD ROUGHOUT (MIS13 to MIS6 - 500000 BC to 150001 BC)
- FSF17630: FLAKE (MIS10 - 372000 BC? to 335000 BC?)
- FSF49930: AXE TRIMMING FLAKE (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC? to 128000 BC?)
- FSF49931: POINTED HANDAXE (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC? to 128000 BC?)
- FSF49932: SUB CORDATE HANDAXE (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC? to 128000 BC?)
- FSF49933: CLEAVER (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC? to 128000 BC?)
- FSF49934: CORDATE HANDAXE (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC? to 128000 BC?)
- FSF49935: OVATE HANDAXE (MIS10 to MIS6 - 372000 BC? to 128000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 3 2020 2:15PM