Monument record WSF 004 - Beech Tree Farm (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0122 7493 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rom pottery making kiln found in ploughing. Circular kiln, 4 feet in diameter with central pedestal. Three complete pots found with many sherds, C2-C3. First excavation by Basil Brown, F J Watson and J Moore during December 1959; excavation of stokehole by Smedley, Owles and Brown, March 1960. Cutting from EADT, 15th March 1960, includes photograph of totally excavated kiln (S1)(S2)(S3) (S4).
Grid reference as given by IPSMG - no references given in Basil Brown notebooks. Also Med find.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 117-119,127,128; LX, 15; XC, 108-110; card index 417.
- <R1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 959-285, 1959.
- <S2> SSF20926 (No record type): SAU, West S E, SMR card.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 28, 1959, (2), 167.
- <S4> SSF9856 (No record type): IPSMG, plan M115,.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59811 Bibliographic reference: Council for British Archaeology. 1957. Council for British Archaeology Group 7: Bulletin of archaeological discoveries.
- FSF21250: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2021 4:17PM