Monument record MLS 007 - Neolithic settlement site. (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0912 7507 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MELLIS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Prehistoric settlement site on field NW of bridged ford on S facing slope, discovered in pipeline trench in July 1955. Sections in pipeline revealed "hut site" 15 feet in diameter with central, sunken, circular hearth containing 3 large burnt stones at base and filled with black earth, pottery and flints. Some of the pottery, including a large rim piece, appears to be Neolithic and the flints included cores, scrapers, flakes. To the S of the "hut site" was a ditch or pit filled with dark soil. To the N there appeared to be a "furnace" which was lined with burnt clay and filled with black earth and worked clay (S1)(S2)(R1).
Also BA, IA.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE21.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 73-77,79,81; LXXI, 137,139; XCI, 165; XCVI, 56; card 213; map 32.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2021 2:57PM