Monument record BRD 062 - Near Brick kiln Farm, Brandon, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7650 8559 (36m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
(Likely pre 1897): A small quantity of Palaeolithic artefacts marked "Wangford Brick Kiln Farm" or "Brandon Down near Brick Kiln Farm Cottages" located to these two pits, close together, at TL 7575 8551 and TL 7580 8552, by J Wymer. Still open in 1985 but overgrown.
Listed finds are 6 hand-axes, 2 flakes and 1 scraper in flint (marked"Brick Kiln Farm. Wangford Brandon"), and 1 scraper in quartzite (S1).
One of `Three gravel pits, (also see BRD 059 & 062), many hundreds of palaeoliths of flint, chert, felstone' recorded on OS card (S2) from 1951 entry on Briscoe correspondents map (S9) referring to (S4, S7).
July 1973: A trial section cut into face of South pit by Wymer but only weathered chalk beneath breckland sand found, apparently gravel was in narrow `seams' or channels, unlike terrace gravel at BRD 058 (S1).
One of three gravel pits listed by Evans - see BRD 061& 062 (S2, S4), and also BRD 058 and WNG 072
Excavation archive with J Wymer in November 1988 (S3).
The JJ Wymer Archive locates the pit at the location of BRD 061 (S5), find records are attached here. However, all should be considered, (S6)
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card.
- <S3> SSF23424 Excavation archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1988. JJ Wymer Excavation Archive.
- <S4> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 23039.
- <S6> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S7> SSF6513 Article in serial: Flower J W. 1869. On some recent Discoveries of Flint Implements of the Drift in Norfolk and Suffolk with observations on the Theories accounting for their Distribution.
- <S8> SSF4158 Cartographic materials: ND. Correspondents 6 inch record map, Anon, undated.
- <S9> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, G. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2021 2:54PM