Monument record HRF 004 - Site of probable rectilinear enclosure of unknown date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4731 9954 (71m by 80m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Possible rectangular enclosure noted on SAU AP, 1977 (S1)
October 2013. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
A probable rectilinear enclosure of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs (S2-S5), centred at TM 4732 9955. The enclosure is surrounded by the cropmarks of fragmentary, multi-phase field systems (SHER SOL 036), some of which it may be associated with, although other elements appear to slight it (or be slighted by it). It could equally be associated with the postulated site of Ashby rabbit warren (SHER ASY 011), which lies to its immediate east, but there is little evidence to prove or disprove these potential associations. (NB. S3 is presumably the same photo as S1 and M1.)
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 2nd October 2013.
- <S1> SSF18487 (No record type): SAU, AP AGG 20, 21 July 1977.
- <M1> SSF36783 (No record type): AP : AGG 20 21/7/1977.
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/58/6402 F21 0072-0074 06-JUL-1964 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service SAU GG20 21-JUL-1977.
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Airmap86 4386204-4386206 01-AUG-1986 (SCC).
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Norfolk County Council BKS 9006-9007 (NCC 2186-2187) 06-AUG-1988.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 18 2020 5:25PM