Monument record LCS 088 - World War II anti-tank cubes.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47781 66884 (200m by 1535m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A line of anti-tank cubes of World War II date stretch for 1.5km along the beach to the east of Minsmere bird reserve between TM47786764 & TM47726611. They can be seen as structures on aerial photographs from 1940(S1) & 1941 (S2). They are still visible 'in situ' on photographs from 1945 (S3) and a number of the cubes are even still visible 'in situ' on aerial photographs from 2000 (S4). In the 1940s photographs, there are 3 bomb craters along the line of cubes, at TM47766640, TM47766647 & TM47766652. It is possible that these were created during an attempt to attack and break the line of cubes, thus reducing their effectiveness.
Also seen as part of the field survey of the Suffolk Coast - line of concrete tank blocks. Also fragmentary remains of scaffolding from WWII beach defences, Inscribed 'Wimpey defense (sic.) line 1940'. S5
Blocks also recorded and photographed in 2006 (S6).
2011: Eleven anti-tank blocks, part of LCS 088, threatened by flood management scheme, photographic record (S7).
Line of WW2 concrete anti-tank blocks stretching from coastal marshes up onto the sea bank. Area owned by RSPB Minsmere Nature Reserve (S8).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2/BR11/14 FrmsA20-A22 8-Jul-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. S/524 H14 Frms25-27 21-Sep-1941.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frms3160-3161 16-Oct-1945.
- <S4> SXS50086 Photograph: Environment Agency Aerial Photography. 51/00/43 Frm468 12-Aug-2000.
- <S5> SSF50130 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett et.al. 2003.
- <S6> SSF50225 Unpublished document: David Sims. 2006. The military defence of a section of the Suffolk Coastline 1939 to 1942. fig 69-70, photo, plan, p87.
- <S7> SSF54105 Unpublished document: Environment Agency. 2011. Minsmere Tank Traps Photographic Record.
- <S8> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Sussams K, 1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2016 3:52PM