Monument record ORF 066 - Practice bombing range, Orfordness
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 44429 48820 (2162m by 1541m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
A bombing range and a number of structures associated with the Orfordness experimental establishment to the west (see ORF 021) can be seen on aerial photographs from 1940 onwards, located on the beach to the east of King's Marshes, centred on circa TM44364881 (S1). The area of the bombing range is defined by a spread of bomb craters roughly 136 hectares in area, and within this area a number of bombing range markers of varying sizes and designs are visible as low, possibly flat structures on the beach, delineating the low level bombing line for incoming aircraft. Due to the large number of craters visible, especially to the south of the area, only those with a diameter of circa 5m and above have been mapped to give an indication of their distribution. The bombing range was functionaly contigious with the area on the beach immediately to the north but was physically seperated by the northern end of Stony Creek (See ORF 063). The bombing range itself continued out to sea for about three miles (S5). A number of structures associated with the ballistics tests are also visible on the aerial photographs, connected by a system of tracks that connects to the main research area on the Ness by a bridge across Stoney Ditch at circa TM44274927. These structures are recorded seperately as ORF 067, ORF 068, ORF 070 and, ORF 071 (S2-5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2E/BR11/12 11-16 13-AUG-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 74-81, 87-88 06-OCT-1941.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF BR289 3-9 07-JAN-1942.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4371-6 16-OCT-1945.
- <S5> SXS50131 Bibliographic reference: Gordon Kinsey. 1981. Orfordness - Secret Site, A History of the Establishment 1915-1980. Kinsey, G. (1981).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2016 10:25AM