Monument record CHT 002 - Deserted Medieval village and green and artefact scatter of pottery.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8911 4218 (421m by 323m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||CHILTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Deserted medieval village and green, first ploughed 1971. Earthworks visible on aerial photographs (S2).
Adjacent to church (CHT 004).
Pottery sherds found on fields around the church include Thetford type ware, early Med and C13-C15 (S3).
The Chilton Tithe Map (1840) shows a long field to the E of the church was named as `Church Green' - this was presumably the nucleus of the now vanished settlement. No settlement is shown near the church on Hodskinsons Map of Suffolk, 1783, or on the 1813 Enclosure Award for Chilton & Cornard Heath (at the SE corner of the parish). The long field to the NW of the church is named as `Dye's Meadow' on the Tithe award and appears to have contained two large ponds. Both fields then belonged to the Rev L G Newman, the owner of what is now called Chilton Grange (N.B. he was not the vicar). The green is now (1988) ploughed and the S boundary has been partially flattened, as has the S side of the driftway leading to the green from the SE. The footpaths are, however, still maintained (S4).
- <S1> SSF18207 (No record type): SAU (West S E), site record, 1971.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP PQ 12 PQ 16.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP PQ 12 PQ 16, 1955.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Plouviez J, pottery description, September 1985.
- <S3> SSF10219 (No record type): Kenyon, .. Kenyon, Great Waldingfield.
- <S4> SSF18040 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1988.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2022 1:31PM