Monument record SUT 028 - OS Field Number 5835; Manor of Sutton (site of) (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3065 4649 (181m by 223m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
PMed metalwork scatter found metal detecting by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) includes: 1987: buckles (C16/C17/C18), stud cap (C16/C17), coins including LC penny (1547-1638 type), Nuremberg tokens.
1989: Bronze brooch, missing central setting (C18/C19), bronze thimble, token, coins, buckle (C16/C17). Details in (S1).
William Haiward's map of Sutton, 1629, shows four buildings here, named as `Site of the maner of Sutton' and held by Mr Fernlie (S2). `Suttonhalle' is mentioned in 1452; the present Sutton Hall lies about a mile to the south and is a C19 building (S3), but on a farmstead site existing in 1629 (S2). Sutton Hall Manor was acquired by the Ferneley family in 1541. The family also held the manor of Woodhall in Sutton (S4).
Also Rom, Sax, Med & Un.
- <S1> SSF19640 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, finds identification records, 1987 & 1989.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF21536 (No record type): SRO (I), JA1/54/2 & 3 `Description and platte of the town of Sutton...' by William Haiward, 1629.
- <M2> SSF43266 (No record type): Photograph: CAR 7.
- <S3> SSF878 (No record type): Arnott W G, The Place-Names of the Deben Valley Parishes, 1946, 75.
- <S4> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, The Manors of Suffolk, vol VII, 1911, 269-271.
- FSF17360: BROOCH (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF17361: BUCKLE (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF17362: COIN (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF17363: TOKEN (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF17364: THIMBLE (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF17365: PIN (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2013 5:11PM