Monument record SKT 018 - Phase 3, Roman (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0592 5854 (272m by 351m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STOWMARKET, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VILLA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POST HOLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HOUSE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- WELL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- OVEN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- INHUMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- CREMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Surface finds, undefined extent. A large amount of tile, including tegulae, box and floor types. Pottery including samian, plain and decorated, mainly Central and East Gaulish, a few fragments of colour coated ware (? Colchester), a Dressel 20 amphora rim and micaceous grey wares (including flanged rim bowl forms). One of the tile fragments has pre-firing scratched letters or marks on it (S1).
1995: Metal detector finds include five coins, silver finger ring with inscription - DEOMER (to the God Mercury), bronze finger ring, possible mirror fragment and Colchester type brooch. Details in (S1).
Metal deteting in Jan 2001 revealed 3 brooches. Details in (S2).
Autumn 2001: Fieldwalking and metal detector survey recorded a concentration of Romano-British pottery, tile and brick within the central western part of the site, corresponding with the previously defined artefact scatter. A small quantity of Iron Age sherds were also recovered (S3).
May 2002: Trial trenched evaluations across field - summary in (S4).
Late 2002-2003 Excavation identified a Roman enclosure on a similar axis to the earlier Iron Age enclosure, and settlement comprising of timber buildings, wells, ovens/kilns fences and cobbled surfaces. Later Roman features including a substancial masonary building and possible bath house. Also Co-axial field systems were recorded (S5).
2002: Excavation on the road corridor to the south of the site identified discreate roman features including a quarry pit, ditches, a threshing floor and two possible round houses (S6).
Also see SKT 018 Iron Age
- --- SSF54876 Unpublished document: Nicholson, K.. 2006. A Late Iron Age and Romano-British Farmstead at Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk.
- --- SSF54878 Unpublished document: Nichols, K, O'Brien Leonora. 2004. Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Post Excavation Assessment and Updated Project Design.
- <S1> SSF23137 (No record type): Whitehead Paul, per SAU (JP) finds reports, drawings, 1994.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report (S3).
- <S2> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Whitehead, P., per Geake, H., SCCAS. sf682/5366-68. Jan 2001..
- <S3> SSF54212 Unpublished document: Gardner, R.. 2001. Phase III, Cedars Park, Stowmarket. An Archaeological Evaluation (field walking and metal detector survey).
- <S4> SSF54842 Unpublished document: Gardner, R. 2002. Phase III Cedars Park, Stowmarket, An archaeological Evaluation (earthwork survey and trial trenching).
- <S5> SSF54843 Unpublished document: Britchfield D. 2003. Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk, Development Phase III (excavation area E) Archaeological Excavation Interim Site Narrative.
- <S6> SSF54844 Unpublished document: Keir, W and Wotherspoon M. 2002. Road Corridor, South of Phase III, Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk, An Archaeological Excavation.
- FSF15276: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF15277: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF15278: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF15279: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF15280: FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF15281: INSCRIBED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF25308: COIN (Roman - 201 AD to 399 AD)
- FSF25309: FINGER RING (Roman - 201 AD to 399 AD)
- FSF25310: FINGER RING (Undated)
- FSF25311: COLCHESTER BROOCH (Late Iron Age to Roman - 1 AD to 99 AD)
- FSF26946: BOW BROOCH (Roman - 150 AD to 299 AD)
- FSF26947: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 120 AD)
- FSF26948: PLATE BROOCH (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD to 410 AD)
- FSF31711: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36441: HUMAN REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36443: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36444: DRESSED STONE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Phase III Cedars Park, Stowmarket (ESF21868)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk, Development Phase III (area E) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-27576) (ESF21869)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Road Corridor, South of Phase III, Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk (ESF21870)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking and Metal Detecting Survey - Cedar Park Phase III, Stowmarket (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-35449) (ESF19927)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey, Cedars Park, Stowmarket, Suffolk (ESF21892)
Record last edited
Apr 7 2016 10:09AM