Building record FRK 055 - Freckenham Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6674 7180 (21m by 18m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Freckenham Hall, listed building, probably on site of Medieval hall, house of principal manor of Freckenham. `The building was evidently much more extensive than it now is.... Far out in the gardens which surround the house can be seen solid blocks of masonry which mark the probable limits of the building. It is quite clear that the present outside walls of the house, sufficiently strong & good for all purposes, were once the inside walls' (S1).
1066: Manor (of 10 carucates) held by Orthi, a Thane of Harolds; 1086 belonged to Bishop of Rochester; 1537 owned by Sir Ralph Warren (Lord Mayor of London). By 1584 had passed by marriage and inheritance to Richard Cromwell. For later history and details, see (S2).
c.1795-1817 sketch plan of buildings (S3).
From NHRE record:
(TL 6675 7172) Freckenham Hall (NAT) (Manor House) (NR) (S4)
The Hall was built in the 18th century Grade 3. (S5)
"Applies to an ancient dwelling house which is supposed to be the remaining portion of the Manor House originally owned by
King Alfred". (S1)
This residence is now named Freckenham Manor; it shows evidence of much restoration/repair and, in this county, is not
outstanding. See photograph. The original date of construction is unknown to the present owners the deeds having been lost. (S67)
- <S1> SSF3025 Bibliographic reference: Callard E. 1924. The Manor of Freckenham. Callard E, The Manor of Freckenham, 1924, 146-7.
- <S2> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S3> SSF59866 Cartographic materials: Plan of buildings 613/760.4, SROB.
- <S4> SSF59859 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1959. 6" 1959.
- <S5> SSF59814 Index: DoE. 1973. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 FDC 19-JUL-76.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2020 3:03PM