Monument record CAC 016 - Medieval and post-medieval ditches and quarry, Swallowfields, Bloodmoor Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 52006 90041 (217m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1999: A magnetic susceptibility survey recorded activity indicating the deposition of fire enhanced materials/soils and possibly in-situ burning (S3).
June 2000: Excavation of 4000 sq m area, to west of area excavated in July 1998, revealed enclosure ditches, finds scatters and a large quarry, all of Medieval and post-medieval date. Details in (S1). In area previously evaluated in 1996 - see CAC 014. For more details on July 1998 see (S2) (S4).
See also MSF19104 Prehistoric ditch and worked flint, MSF19105 for 1st-2nd century Roman field system, MSF21617 Anglo-Saxon settlement and cemetery.
- <S1> SSF50015 Unpublished document: Chapman, H. P., Gearey, B. R., and Krawiec, K.. 2006. Assessment report: Excavations of a brushwood trackway and causeway. Compartmen 26, Beccles Marshes. Mortimer et al, Cambridge Archaeological Unit, Report 386, August 2000, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39(3), p.367.
- <S3> SSF58573 Unpublished document: Challands, A.. 1999. Report on the Magnetic Susceptibility Survey at Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58574 Unpublished document: Mortimer, R.. 2000. An Interim Statement, Excavation of the Early Anglo-Saxon Settlement 1998-2000, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville.
- FSF25929: POTTERY (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF25930: COIN (13th century - 1282 AD to 1289 AD)
- FSF25931: COIN (17th century - 1620 AD to 1623 AD)
- FSF25932: COIN (17th century - 1625 AD to 1644 AD)
- FSF25933: SPUR (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF25934: MUSKET BALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville (Ref: 1998) (ESF15874)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville (Ref: 1999) (ESF26248)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Colville (Ref: 2000) (ESF26249)
- Event - Survey: Magnetic Susceptibility Survey - Bloodmoor Hill, Carlton Coville (ESF26246)
Record last edited
May 14 2018 12:19PM